THE DANGER OF JUST A “CLICK AWAY” ORTHODONTICS
Updated: Oct 21
Instant gratification is just a click away. Dancing across your cell phone screen is an app for just about anything…or at least it would seem that way. With a click you can order a soccer ball, supplies for your home, and even groceries. In fact if you have a yen for Chinese food, it too must be just a click away. Watching your favorite movie from your comfiest couch is also a mere purchase away and is viewable whenever the spirit moves you. Need a ride? Open up the Uber app and your limo awaits. We’ve become so dependent and programmed that there is an easy fix for everything that sometimes we come to believe and expect that all we encounter in life should be served up immediately on a silver platter.
If you have a medical problem is it wise to use WebMD as a substitute for your doctor actually performing an examination or providing his/her expertise? Allow me to answer, if you have any common sense you’ll visit your doctor rather than relying on a website for advice and guidance.
In the Orthodontic World it is No Different. At Feller Orthodontics we can categorically state the following …There is NO substitute for treatment planned and prescribed by your orthodontist. There is a reason why there are dental/orthodontic boards that set the standard of care. An experienced professional like Dr. Mark Feinberg received his board certification by the American Board of Orthodontics which has set the highest criteria for patient standard of care. Our practice has even elevated the standard of care by additional training in digital robotics using SureSmile technology.
The American Association of Orthodontists(AAO) agrees. They recently issued a Consumer Alert listing key questions to ask about direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies. You can download a print-friendly version here.
The issue is that direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies, like Smile Direct do not involve the in-person evaluation and/or in-person supervision of your treatment that we provide at Feller Orthodontics. We have seen patients that have presented to our office after treatment by direct to consumer orthodontic companies with dire consequences for these patients. Do It Yourself(DIY)orthodontic treatment is just plain dangerous. If you are willing to roll the dice and gamble with your dental health than this would be the approach to take. There is so much more to creating a beautiful, healthy smile than moving the visible portions of your teeth. When not done properly you run the risk of potentially irreversible and expensive damage such as tooth and gum loss, changes to your facial profile and other issues.
An orthodontist like Dr. Feller has many tools in his tool chest to help create your beautiful smile – Invisalign or SureSmile aligners, is just one of them. It’s important to have a fully qualified orthodontist involved when making any changes to your teeth and smile.
The Top 10 Questions To Ask
The AAO advises that when researching orthodontic treatment (including treatment models from direct-to-consumer companies like SmileDirectClub, Candid Co., Smilelove, SnapCorrect, Orthly, etc), you should consider many key questions, some of which include:
1. As part of your treatment, are comprehensive diagnostic records like x-rays taken before your treatment?
2. As part of your treatment fee, do you receive any in-person visits to a dentist’s or orthodontist’s office during your treatment?
3. Is only one treatment type offered (such as invisible aligners or a certain appliance)?
4. What are the possible risks (financial, health, etc.) associated with your orthodontic treatment?
5. Who is responsible for detecting any issues that may occur during your orthodontic treatment? Is it you? If it is a doctor not associated with your treatment, who pays for those check-ups?
6. If an emergency arises, does the company have a dentist or orthodontist in your area that you can see in-person? If not, who would cover the costs associated with seeing a dentist or orthodontist in your area?
7. If you are injured or have another dispute involving your orthodontic treatment, how is it handled (litigation, arbitration, etc.) and what rights do you have?
8. Does the treatment model comply with the dental laws in your state? To check your state’s dental laws, click https://www.aaoinfo.org/state-laws-and-regulations. Information for your state dental board can be found at https://www.aaoinfo.org/aao/state-dental-board-info.
Where You Receive Your Health Care Is A Very Important Personal Decision
Remember that orthodontic treatment is not a product or device – it is a professional, medical service. Dr. Feller has a commitment to regular continuing education and has years of experience providing the highest high quality of orthodontic care to the greater Las Vegas, NV community.
Before making any decision about orthodontic treatment, consider doing some research and having a complimentary in-person consultation at Feller Orthodontics. Our friendly team is waiting to answer any of your questions and start you or your child on a path to a gorgeous smile.
Want To Know More About Personalized Orthodontic Care? Call Feller Orthodontics Today!
When you meet Dr. Feller, you’ll exactly what you're looking for and more. He brings knowledge and experience to his patients, young and old, providing exceptional orthodontic care. Feel free to call us if you have any questions about the information we have shared or if you would benefit from orthodontic care at all, call us at 702-341-8668. Dr Feller will examine your teeth and get you started on the best treatment plan for creating a lasting shining smile.
If you have any questions about early treatment, don’t hesitate to contact our office, Feller Orthodontics. Also please feel free to request a copy of our resource guide on early orthodontic care.
Call us today at 702-341-8668 or visit our website.